Date Updated: December 1, 2020
Information We Collect
The information we collect varies, depending on the way you use our Site, products, or services. We collect and/or receive information in the ways described below.
You are not required to provide any personal information to browse or access the public area of the Site. However, to access or use certain NCBE services, including through the Site and when you register for and take an NCBE examination, you may be required to provide personal information. “Personal information” is information that is unique to you, and we may collect the following types of personal information from you:
- name, including any formerly used names
- email address
- telephone number
- date of birth
- Social Security or national identification number
- credit card or debit card number
- information regarding your legal education, background, credentials, and related matters
Personal information does not include anonymized, aggregate, or statistical information.
How to Access or Correct Your Personal Information
Note that Certain NCBE services may have specific processes for correcting or updating personal information, such as information submitted in a character and fitness application or associated with a test registration or a score service. Refer to the specific instructions for those services. For additional guidance you can use the Contact Us form.
Automatically Collected Information
Our Site automatically collects certain information about your use of our Site that does not personally identify you. This information includes the following:
- Information about your Site activity. When you browse our Site, we collect IP address (static or dynamic), browser type and language, operating system, domain server, referring and exit pages and URLs, date and time of visit, length of session, the pages you visited while on the Site, and similar data.
- Information about your device. When you interact with our Site, we collect information about your device including type of computer or device, operating system and version (e.g., iOS, Android, Windows), carrier and country location, and similar data. Additional information collected from your device may include any of the following: Universally Unique ID (UUID), Advertising Identifier (IDFA), MAC address, hardware and processor information (e.g., storage, chip speed), and network type (e.g., WiFi, 3G, 4G, LTE).
Use of Google Analytics
We use Google Analytics to track interaction with specific features of the Site. You can opt out of Google Analytics by installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on, available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Information We Receive from Third Parties
NCBE may receive information about you from other sources. For example, we regularly receive information from bar admission authorities, third parties contacted as part of a character and fitness investigation, and organizations under contractual agreements to perform services with or on behalf of NCBE, such as testing-administration agencies.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use your information to provide, analyze, administer, enhance, and personalize our Site and the products, and services we provide to you. We also use your information to communicate with you and to conduct our business. Generally, NCBE uses your information to carry out its mission to serve the bar admissions community, and more specifically, uses it to
- provide services and products requested by you, such as testing services, score services, and character and fitness services;
- provide testing, character and fitness, and other services to bar admission agencies and attorney regulatory authorities;
- register you for a test, product, or service;
- complete the Character and Fitness Application; please view A Summary of Your Rights Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act;
- ensure that our examinations are fair;
- maintain a permanent record of examinee performance;
- maintain statistical data and conduct research related to bar admissions, bar examinations, and the legal industry;
- create or modify an NCBE Account;
- respond to an inquiry or message you send us through the Contact Us form;
- provide you with updates, reminders, or other information about products and services that you have ordered or that may interest you;
- analyze and improve our Site or products and/or services;
- personalize your Site experience;
- protect you and NCBE from fraudulent transactions, and investigate inappropriate or unauthorized use of NCBE services, products, accounts, or intellectual property or other assets;
- comply with applicable laws, regulations, or contractual requirements, or respond to subpoenas or government requests; and
- fulfill any other purpose you request or consent to.
How We Share and Disclose Your Information
NCBE shares and discloses your information for various purposes in order to provide you the Site, products, and/or services and to conduct our business, including as follows:
- to service providers (including testing-administration agencies, consultants, payment processors, data hosting and storage providers, and data analytics service providers);
- to bar admissions authorities that use and/or administer our examinations;
- for purposes of character and fitness investigations, to bar admission and attorney regulatory authorities and third parties we contact during the investigation;
- when NCBE reasonably believes it is needed to (i) respond to information requests by law enforcement or other governmental authorities; (ii) comply with any law, regulation, subpoena or other legal process, or court order; (iii) investigate and help prevent security threats, fraud, malicious activity, or inappropriate, unauthorized, or illegal activity involving our examinations, services, or networks; or (iv) enforce or protect our rights and property, including intellectual property;
- in the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, sale of assets, dissolution, or similar event, as part of the transferred assets; or
- in accordance with any consent to use or share your information that you provide us.
We may also share anonymized and aggregate data that does not identify you personally, such as for research and analytics purposes.
Except as set forth in this section regarding your online NCBE Character and Fitness Application, NCBE will retain your personal information for as long as we deem appropriate and necessary in accordance with our legitimate interests and to comply with any applicable laws, regulations, and/or contractual requirements.
We follow the following policies in determining when an online NCBE Character and Fitness Application may be deleted from our website server (and no longer available for you to view or transfer):
- An unused application may be deleted after 90 days.
- An application that is never received by NCBE may be deleted after one year of nonuse.
- An application that is processed by NCBE will remain on our website server for five years from the date we receive the application. As long as your application remains online, you can transfer the data in the application to a new application for a supplemental report to the same jurisdiction or a new report to another jurisdiction (with certain exceptions).
- An application to North Carolina by Exam will remain on our server for one year from the date the application is received by their admissions office.
If you wish to delete your online NCBE Character and Fitness Application from our website server, please Contact Us to determine whether you are eligible to have it removed.
NCBE has physical, technical, and administrative safeguards in place to protect your personal information. Despite our security measures, no data transmission over the Internet or electronic storage is 100% secure. As a result, we cannot and do not warrant the security of your personal information.
Messages that you send to us by email, including by use of the Contact Us form on the Site, may not be secure, and use of email is not recommended for sending us confidential or sensitive information.
Links to Third-Party Websites
For your convenience, we may provide links to other websites and web pages that we do not control. NCBE does not endorse and is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of any such linked websites. If you submit information to any of those sites, your information is governed by their privacy policies. For information about how other organizations, including testing-administration agencies, may collect and use your personal information, you should review their respective privacy policies when applicable to you.
This Site is not directed to children under 13 years old. Accordingly, we do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 13 years of age, and persons under 13 years of age should not submit any personal information to NCBE.
United States Privacy Laws
NCBE is located in the United States. By providing your information, you consent to the processing of your information in the United States.
NCBE can also be contacted at
National Conference of Bar Examiners
302 South Bedford Street
Madison, WI 53703-3622